Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thursday Night At Alafia Elementary

The last time I was involved in one of these kind of public forums that had the kind of lead up that this one has, I noticed that the District brought a lot of their mid level personnel to the meeting. The most vocal members of the public seemed to be targeted by these mid level personnel and the personnel would go to the vocal public people and engage them in conversation. This effectively kept the vocal public people from speaking publicly to the group, since they were getting personalized attention.

Let me know if I am wrong about this one. I sure struck out on my predictions about last night. I thought surely the campus cowboys would have handcuffed someone. The civility of the Board was most interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parents will listen to Mrs. Elia's plan on Thursday.

I hope she will be ready to respond to some thoughtful questions.

Anonymous said...

"The most vocal members of the public seemed to be targeted by these mid level personnel and the personnel would go to the vocal public people and engage them in conversation. This effectively kept the vocal public people from speaking publicly to the group, since they were getting personalized attention."

AHHHH....THE DELPHI TECHNIQUE RIGHT?

PRO On HCPS said...

Of course.

I saw a lot back in the day, even though I didn't know what it was at the time.

The night this particular strategy became clear to me was at Chamberlain H.S.. There had been several parent meetings already, one at Armwood, one at Plant (I think, not sure on that one) and one other school.

The District saw what they were up against, so the night at Chamberlain had a completely different set up, and I witnessed this strategy clear as a bell.

It seemed pretty well orchestrated to me, even down to them matching personalities to effectively diffuse them. They sent a woman to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Hillsborough has enough mid-level administrators to handle all the vocal parents at Alafia. After about an hour, MaryEllen looked like a deer in the headlights.

The parents had her number, and she wasn't getting over on them.