Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Alafia Elementary Alum Speaks Out

I don't know what to make of my recent interaction with an anon. I haven't heard back from them for a few days. Maybe it was me. I feel like the little sponge in the commercial.


It starts out like this:
:Anonymous said...
To the special Ed concierge,
Im [sic]not a parent im [sic]a student who went to Alafia."


Fine so far. I am a wee bit concerned about a kid reading some of the content of my posts. Kids are not my target audience, but the cybernet is free to all in our country so far. I did make a note that the post was posted at 11:32 pm.

The young person continues:

"As a former student at Alafia I am totally shocked how these parent [sic]act. That is the problem with parents today, they never let their kid take responsibility for their actions."


"I have one brother who is currently in Alafia and one who left last year. I have never heard anything bad about this principal. If someones [sic]life was in jepordy[sic], i [sic]know this women [sic]would go to the ends of the earth to protect your child. Please grow up!"


Ok, so now I am thinking about the movie where the guy gets stopped by a police officer and the daughter say's "do you know who this man is"? I am also thinking about how I can grow up.


Next, this young person at least has a vision in mind:

"As a student who is currently going to school to be a teacher, im [sic]not looking forward to dealing with parents that don't allow their kids to take some responsibility for their actions."



Next, not only does this young person have a vision, but it appears the prerequisite mindset has already formed:

"It's people like you that drive great teachers and administrators out of the profession."


Ouch! How can I tell this young person that I would never want to drive a great teacher or administrator out of the profession, however I have met my share of not so great teachers and administrators that I would have gladly driven them out of town and wear a coat with tails, a top hat and carry a baton while I did it.


Previously on this particular blog post, I had made this comment to another commenter:
"I will tell you right up front that my middle kid doesn't hear a word I say. What are your thoughts on that one?"


True to form of this future educator, this was their comment:

"To comment on your question,
I find that comment to be utterly ignorant and proves my point!"



I must say I then felt right at home, just like I used to feel when my kids were in the HCPS system.

Part of my response was this:

:To anon 11:32

I appreciate your comments.


My middle child is totally deaf and visually impaired....."




I just wonder if this young person ever understood why my middle child doesn't hear a word I say. Neither did some of his (my son's) educators.



You can see the full context in the comments section here:

PRO on HCPS: Alafia Elementary and The Clinton Defense

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There seems to be some "monkey" business going on here, if you know what I mean.

One argument seems to be that Alafia's Principal would "go to the end of the earth" for the kids. Would you make that argument for someone you don't know well (like the principal of your younger brother's school)? I wouldn't.

Another other argument seems to be not to question authority. No one has DEFIED authority (by not following rules), just QUESTIONED authority. If everyone in the world did their job well, there would be no malpractice, no appeals courts, no reason to have audits or inspections or quality controls. But some people are lousy at what they do - EVEN ADMINISTRATORS.

Parents hava a right, no, a RESPONSIBILITY, to stand up for what is right when it affects the education of their children.

The aim of the parents here is to KEEP GREAT TEACHERS. A great administrator hasn't darkened the door of the school in a few years now.

PRO On HCPS said...

To anon 5:19

Clear as a bell on the first sentence implication. Obviously you are an ardent reader of Tribune comments or mine. I don't have a clue about what the truth may be, but I have heard that if there is duck feathers around, there must be a duck somewhere.

As for the rest of your comments, I can only say that the word "public" is in "Hillsborough County Public Schools".

I have no clue about what the truth involving Alafia Elementary is. But I am very familiar with the process of how the District deals with parents.

Maybe this was a "NON-ISSUE" or "A FORMALITY" last spring, but just look what happened.