Friday, November 21, 2008

The Gator Gang and The "I Didn't Know" Defense and Holland

I sure hope the Alafia Gator Gang remembers to throw a bone or two to the parents of the kids with disabilities. Every parent is just a conception away from having one of those kids that isn't going to Italy.
With some types of disabilities, you know right out of the chute. With some disabilities, the overwhelming truth comes later in life. Trust me, it is a different world. I will scratch your back if you scratch mine. And for those who don't get it, a disability is a reason, not an excuse.


I was over on the Alafia Blog which seems to be getting a hell of a lot of attention. Here I have been trying to draw attention to the system for over 12 years, and bam, they come along and now it's Alafia this and Alafia that.

Me being the out-of-the-box kind'a guy I am, I thought I would expound on a phrase that I heard was said last night at the Gator Growl - "I didn't know about that".

Looking back, take a look at this Tribune article and you will see this information that was provided by the Tribune:

"Elia said she was surprised when she got notice Monday of the upcoming news conference because she was not aware of the concerns."


Complaint Alleges Hillsborough Withheld Services To Students

That sentence resulted in this post of mine:

PRO on HCPS: What Do These People Get Paid To Do?

Following along with the Alafia issues, there are a hell of a lot of people getting paid within the HCPS in the name of "Special Education". Back in the day, I probably knew every one of them, and was on the hiring committee for the first liasons.

If you read the complaint, and see that 47 kids were arrested in one year while attending one of the 7 special education centers the District has, how is it possible that the leader of the schools did not know?

Most parents of disabled kids channel all of their resources into dealing with the kid. They don't have what it takes, and you can see it takes a lot, to deal with a system that doesn't know.

I ask one thing. Read the complaint and grasp the significance of the numbers. Your kid is just a number, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are issues with Alafia and students who landed in Holland. We just try to stay off the big radar, but our voice is out there.

Anonymous said...

Holland sucks. The shoes give me blisters. It's cold. There's no Italian food.

Wish I was on a gondola right now.