Friday, December 12, 2008

An Introduction To The Psychology of Advocacy

Click on this link to see what the snippets below mean:

From Wrightslaw:


"Stop playing the victim and being the overly-emotional parent"


",,, I turned my anger into
something else - ADVOCACY. "



".....Although I felt the school had attempted to assassinate my character, I had no proof. I learned from the Wrights to focus only on issues that can be proven. I was determined to get the help my children needed. I would use my emotions as a source of energy. I would become a mighty force."


*********************


From my life experiences and training, I think I understand a lot about how parents feel when the parent loses trust in the system. Heck, I will even add the same premise to employees who lose trust for the system.

We need to tap into the emotions to provide us with motivation, but we need to learn how to make sure the emotions are channeled into true advocating for our position.

"Regular Ed" people can learn a lot from the world of special education people.

No comments: