Monday, December 29, 2008

Cut The Cameras For The Sake Of The Kids

In today's St. Pete Times, Leticia Stein may unwittingly be setting the stage for another HCPS School Board blow up.

Cleverly nestled in the puff piece of how the Board is addressing financial woes, there is this nugget:


"I'd eliminate the School Board meetings altogether before I'd eliminate the Math Homework Hotline," said board member Candy Olson, after learning at a recent workshop that the district is paying about $250 per hour to broadcast the meetings live with two replays. "This is not the best use of our resources at this time."

I am sure every one is as eager as I am to hear Ms. Falario's response to this suggestion to eliminate the broadcast of the School Board meetings. After all, what better medium to operate one's PR. program than live action, and Board member Olson is suggesting putting a speed bump right in the middle of the roadway to transparency. Lest we forget the past, here is what Ms. Falario recently proposed:

"I'm tired of hearing what a bad job we're doing," she said. "We do a great job, and people need to have more access to what we're doing."


More cynical people might try to think past Ms. Olson's idea of cancelling the publicized Board meetings as an attempt to limit "white propaganda", the kind that is mentioned here, with a hint that the Board meetings may "produce undesirable effects":

11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.



As we stand by our tumtum trees and wait for their vorpal blades to go snicker snack, you don't suppose that these two politicians would come up with a scheme to take the money they save from publicizing the Board meetings and apply that money to some type of PR program, do you?

7 comments:

GreyGhost said...

Maybe Mrs. Elia will cut her bonus to only $20k next year. That should leave enough money in the budget to televise the Board Meetings for another year.

Honestly, if you make more than $200k a year, do you need a bonus?

Anonymous said...

I found this onlinw today. What is this all about?

http://www.christianconcepts.net/informat.htm

Anonymous said...

I really like this song. Do you?

I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didnt know how lost I was
Until I found you

I was beat incomplete
Id been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new

Chorus:

Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
When your heart beats (after first time, with your heartbeat)
Next to mine

Gonna give you all my love, boy
My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
cause only love can last

Youre so fine and youre mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold

(chorus)

Oooh, oooh, oooh

Youre so fine and youre mine
Ill be yours till the end of time
cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Ive nothing to hide

(chorus)

Like a virgin, ooh, ooh
Like a virgin
Feels so good inside
When you hold me, and your heart beats, and you love me

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ooh, baby
Cant you hear my heart beat
For the very first time?

Anonymous said...

What's THAT all about???

Richard, I think that post warrants a deletion.

If the school board is going to stop televising (and I truly hope that they don't), they should start their meetings at 7pm so that the public can attend.

It's amazing how they juust threw money at the Alafia problem, but now they want to penny pinch on televising? Doesn't that render useless the already expensed audio/video/lighting equipment? What the heck are these people thinking?

Anonymous said...

December 30th--after reading the lovely little "Praise Elia" op/ed piece....I'm just lovin' all this compost being thrown!

Greyghost--you're making sense! YeaH-Why DOES someone who make OVER $200K NEED a bonus???Especially when shes' gutting the education process?? BUT--she sure IS "saving" buckets of money!!!! I bet Jenny is loving the TV diet part--that way NO sunshine gets in !!!!
By the way whose opinion is "ours" in today's piece?

Anonymous said...

Checked out that christianconcepts site--wow!!!! "Christian" anything is NOT connected to KKK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd eliminate the School Board meetings altogether before I'd eliminate the Math Homework Hotline," said board member Candy Olson, after learning at a recent workshop that the district is paying about $250 per hour to broadcast the meetings live with two replays. "This is not the best use of our resources at this time."

*********************************
How about eliminating the television commercial ads for School Choice running on BayNews9 that contained no real substance? How much did THAT cost the district?

School Choice is publicized well through print media, newsletters, websites, post card mailings, and the automated phone system. How much does a 15-20 second ad (with only music for audio, BTW) cost the district every time it runs?

When it comes to matters that affect students, the district always seems to be looking at the bottom line. But when it somes to Mrs. Elia's pet project, School Choice, the budget seems endless.

Thanks to Mrs. Elia for her tireless commitment to promoting school choice, regardless of the financial climate. She is now the recipient of the Dr. Carlo Rodriguez Champion of School Choice Award and also a half scholarship to Nova Southeastern University for the Doctoral Program (this should make Lee DeCesare very happy).

I forgot...why can't we afford the Math Homework Hotline?