Sunday, April 6, 2008

One More Isolated Incident

I was in attendance in my son's IEP meeting on December 16th, 1996. I assumed it was going to a contentious meeting, as it had all of the earmarks of those types I had attended before.

Prior to this meeting, I had written a letter to the principal outlining some of my concerns. After six years of learning the ways of the District, I had become better at covering all of the bases, even though I knew there would be some angle I was not prepared for.

While there were a lot of interesting things that happened in this meeting, I will address one connected to the link below. The principal recorded the meeting. There were a lot of "damaging" things said by some of the District people and also there was a lot of "evidence" of how my "procedural safeguards" were compromised, some being outright violated. Keep in mind this was prior to me learning the rules of the game. In fact, that day started my official quest for knowledge regarding IDEA and how it is supposed to work.

It was the proverbial straw. Some of the people who were in that meeting are still around. I think one or two of them understood the injustice that was done. I think the others were more entrenched in how to spin the events so they were defensible.

The fallout of this meeting was immediate and widespread. It may not surprise some of you that despite the fact that I had an MO-12 inviting me to an IEP meeting on that day and a time specific and room specific, along with the fact that nine or ten other people showed up at the same time and place, upon my request for copies of the records of that IEP meeting, I was told by a District Person that there had been no IEP meeting. I guess it depends on what the definition of "was" was.

The principal had tape recorded the meeting. She had prepared for taping. I did not. Try getting a definitive "yes" or "no" answer today whether a parent can tape an IEP meeting.

Back to my point that speaks to the below. After I insisted on getting a copy of that tape, I was finally given a tape.

The tape I received was blank.


This post jogged my memory:

Saturday, April 05, 2008

I can't remember exactly how this poor mangled teacher came to my attention. I think she emailed me. I asked for a copy of her court case to put on our blog, and she said OK.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you posted awhile ago but this is what I think.

The rules for the ESE department state that if a parent brings a tape recorder than they are allowed to tape, as long as the school also tapes the meeting.

So, if the school was taping, than you should (no guarantee) have been able to tape as well.

PRO On HCPS said...

Anon states: "So, if the school was taping, than you should (no guarantee) have been able to tape as well."

I will go along with that one. In this particular IEP of December 16th, the IEP meeting went bad for the District. I have the copy of the letter that the teacher read to me and my wife.

The contents of the statement was not what the District wanted on record. Nor were the comments made by the Principal.

I did not know the rules of IDEA back then, but this meeting went so bad, that was the day I started learning the rules.

My next question is asked with considerable interest. Regarding the statement "The rules for the ESE department state that if a parent brings a tape recorder than they are allowed to tape, as long as the school also tapes the meeting", are you talking about Hillsborough County Public Schools, Hillsborough County, Florida as we know it today?