Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Horse is a Horse Of Course of Course - even if it is ridden by a Cavalier

From Dictionary.com, we find:

cav·a·lier noun - 1. a horseman, esp. a mounted soldier; knight.

–adjective 5. haughty, disdainful, or supercilious: an arrogant and cavalier attitude toward others.

I just can't resist jumping in to say "me too" or, in today's vernacular - "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout".

Goader used this word recently, and I wanted to jump in then, but I felt like it would be perceived as just a "wanna be" attempt.

But, by gosh and golly, that word showed up again today in the Tampa Tribune by a "pw23 12:04 p.m." comment, and I just can't resist the temptation to tell another anecdotal account of my past.

After December 16, 1996, my life as I knew it was changed forever. I was no longer going to take it without a fight. Having learned from my father, who was a "full bird Colonel", I saw how he dealt with issues in his life, and there were no nuances and little negotiations. I decided after that day that it was time to emulate him as best I could, take a stand, and do what I had to do to address this lying, deceitful entity of the HCDS.

A few months or maybe within a year of the above date, the HCDS had some group come in to evaluate it. They had public comment meetings at different schools. The time and exact place are a bit fuzzy in my memory, but I think the meeting I went to was at King High School. I was working out of town, and trying to advocate for one's child when one is two hours away makes it even more difficult.

Anyway, this group had put up big sheets of paper on the wall under different categories for the public comment. I don't remember which category I wrote it under, nor do I remember my exact words.

But I used the word "cavalier" when I tried to describe how I perceived the District deals with parents and ESE issues.

I see the horse is still being ridden by a cavalier. And apparent the attitude is towards teachers, too.

No comments: