Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What Is the Definition of "Too Much Power"?

First, a "thank you" to each of you concerned about my son's health. He is better now.

Jumping back into blogging about the public school system, I have been thinking a lot about some recent "dots" that are connected if one examines them closely. Frequent readers will recognize that I usually pick out a word or phrase that I think provides "substance to the obvious" in articles that I read. Learning to read law requires close scrutiny of the meaning and intent of a single word, and the HCPS afforded me the need to develop that skill.

How does one wield "power"?

I chose the "power" to further my quest to examine the relationship between the public and the public school system. The first "dot" that I recently discovered came in a Tribune article that someone forwarded to me. The use of the word "power" by Mr. Hooper grabbed my attention:

2009 starts behind the 8-Ball - St. Petersburg Times:

"...you worry the rancor that helped bring about Ellyn Smith's resignation has given too much power to a vocal but small group."


The "powers that be" within Hillsborough county should feel lucky they don't have to deal with the following types of "power" that Pinellas must endure:


Mayor Baker asks district to keep schools open:
"ST. PETERSBURG -- Mayor Rick Baker has asked Pinellas superintendent Julie Janssen to keep the doors open at three local schools slated for extinction."


Pinellas middle school teachers win: arbitrator orders return to old schedule:
"....an arbitrator has ruled that the district’s new seven-period middle school schedule violates the teachers’ contract. The district must revert to the previous six-period schedule when the second semester begins"



What do Pinellas school administrators actually do? - St. Petersburg Times

No comments: