Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hope of Change On School Board Meeting

I missed the first hour of the last HCPS school board meeting, so if any thing happened during that time, I am ignorant of it. I can't get motivated yet to spend the time to listen to it, either.

I will say that for the time that I did watch, I was encouraged with the dialogues that happened, if not simply for the fact that they indeed happened.

The fact that a Board member seconded a motion "out of respect" to have the discussion even though this same member who gave the motion the second ended up voting against it shows hope of change.


The fact that a Board member apparently represented her constituents vigorously despite it not being in lock step with the other members shows hope of change.

The fact that a Board member had the courage to say that the District had made mistakes before and that these mistakes were so bad that those mistakes won't happen again shows hope of change.

The fact that a Board member challenged the lower level administration to "use common sense" shows hope of change.

I saw a little less arrogance and a little more humiltity based on reality during this meeting.

Maybe there is hope of change for me.

No comments: