Monday, March 31, 2008

Just Lending A Helping Hand

As I was tending my spring crop of rutabagas, I had an amazing insight. Some of the HCDS employees are indeed quick witted. I was contemplating the recent "crutch incident" after reading some more of the public comments on the Tampa Tribune post.

After reading some of the comments, I was trying to empathize with the plight of the person who allegedly took the crutches away. It dawned on me that coming up with the idea that crutches are weapons and therefore the strict enforcement of the "policy" was actually a heroic act by the person who protected the innocent from this threat. I had to admit, I don't think I would have thought of that quickly.

I have had the benefit of days to think and scheme. I think I may have something that will solve this issue for the next person. The following comment got my attention:
( cshultz110 ) on March 31, 2008 at 10:38 a.m: "One point you are missing is that the district is planning on putting the policy of NO crutches or wheelchairs without a doctors note into next years student handbook, which means that the only difference between this happening this year or next year is that the school district (not just the nurses supervisor) will have the nurses back!!!"

On a side note, for those who are in to dot connecting, this person may be connected to this one: "This Dot may be Huge if it is truly connected".

Back to the crutch of the matter. Next year, once this policy is in the student handbook, I have the answer to the issue, should it happen again. If the student does not have a Dr's note for the crutch or wheelchair, they will be on the school grounds illegally. So, the school person charges the student with trespassing, calls the police and they come and arrest the student and handcuff them, and take them away. Problem solved and all legally neat and tidy.

Tomorrow I have to shovel the stuff the bull puts out, and I am hoping then I can figure out how to save the unknowing person that picks up those crutches, to take them to the student in jail, from being tasered.

1 comment:

Hall Monitor said...

Checking in from DetentionSlip.org...

Good point about the crutches. You know what else might be considered a weapon? Two loaded pistols. Check out the story about a first grader who brought these to school at http://detentionslip.org.