Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It Used To Be - "First You Blame the Student, Then You Blame the Parent"

I know I am probably one of the few parents who see the school district for what it is. For those who are waiting on the public to cause a change within the system, it may never happen.

First of all, there are too many "transplants" that are not "rooted" to go up against the "rooted" establishment.


Secondly, with so many snow birds that don't have kids, they don't care.

Lastly, as this post says it all, it takes a lot to fight. It takes time, money, intellectual and emotional resources, intelligence and perseverance. But first, it takes the ability to analyze it for what it is. For the parents who have money, they take their kids out when they see what they are up against. I did the same for my regular ed kids when the situation called for it. For the rest of the parents, it is extremely difficult to bring about accountability when obfuscation is the name of the game.

What gets me is, each faction is complaining about the same thing. Each one defines it from their perspective, but there is no accountability.

I have many times mocked the statement "first you blame the kid, then you blame the parent". It has been a staple of the system defense.

But, as always in dysfunctional cultures, they start to eat their own. This cannibalism has been happening. I just don't think people recognize it for what it is. A teacher here, a teacher there. Especially the ones who are for positive change, but don't know to protect themselves.

Here is a question for all of the teachers: How many of you have, in one way or another, if not directly verbatim, been told: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" when you try to right a wrong.

It is my understanding that it happens a lot.

I have been watching for this phrase for years, and here it is: ""Blame the teachers!" I am sick of this mantra." - posted by an anon.

It is what it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Sir--
What we need to do is to hold the ROSSAC PsTB accountable. I'm sick to death of having to apologize and explain to parents. For years, teachers have had to do more with larger classes, larger caseloads, more preps and less time--we've lost 2 planning periods over the last 2 years--the first of them was that Clinical Model that was to be used to work with mentoring, tutoring, counseling, interacting with parents and other teachers, conduct conferences and IEP meetings, monitor student progress and intervene... and the list goes on and on. The other was the planning period that all teachers lost. The damage will be irreparable. Yes, sometimes it IS the students--or the parents --or the teachers .....most times it's the total lack of caring for the welfare of students and the parents and teachers that try to help them--from ROSSAC. I'm getting out of ESE and going to just the subject area I've taught (by myself or FUSEd) for many years. There are several others at my school doing some looking, too. The joy has gone out of ESE--all that's left is stress and discouragement. Be glad your children are out of the system-- I'm glad mine are--and that was just Honors and Regular Ed. Changes aren't going to happen until people at the top leave. We've yelled, picketted, written e mails, spoken at SB meetings, tried to get straight answers from ROSSAC--no help, there. Why rock their comfy office chairs? Parents need to get togeter--LOTS of you and start showing some muscle-- and legal authority. Teachers just can't do any more. I'll always be ESE in my heart--and work with the kids that need me--but I'll be doing it from a Regular Ed classroom.