Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Crutch, A Crutch -My District for a Crutch

I have put off making comments about this latest incident for a while. There is a chance that the reporter was negligent, unprofessional and simply wrote an irresponsible article that painted a biased picture about the local school system.

That slim chance keeps me from jumping on the band wagon and bashing the system one more time based on false information. Because that would mess up my credibility about my perception of how "the HCDS" is rampant with arrogance and ignorance and abuse of power.

Once again, my comments are not about individuals. But maybe, just maybe, if one has read all of my rants and raves about how I perceive the District as dysfunctional because of some of those who are in power are arrogant, ignorant and abuse their power, this story, if true, fits my template.

It is my hope that those who understand what I am talking about and are in a position to bring about positive change, it will give them insight. And for those who are not in a position of power, it will give insight into how your current job situation is compromised because of other's actions.

For those who want to argue that I haven't heard the whole story, I will say "you are right". And I will leave it at that, and wait for the next story and we can go through another "isolated incident" again.

So here it is: Mother: School Took Girl's Crutches

If you read the public comments, I am "RLH".


What got my attention about this article was this statement:

"We ask for a doctor's prescription or a doctor's note, but there's nothing that says take away the crutches," Cobbe said.

Again, if this is all true, this statement should be used in every professional training program the District uses.

I have had the finger of authority in my face. I have been threatened with trespassing. The day after I wrote a letter outlining serious concerns that had been ongoing. I dealt with "intimidation" and "obfuscation" in several different settings over several years. It was not "isolated incidents" and I do not use a "broad brush".

It is what it is. For those who want to say I am a "malcontent", I say one thing: Prove me wrong.

If this story is true, it fits the template of an employee who perceives their job as "controlling" as opposed to "administering". Whether it be in the classroom, the health clinic, the office, the front secretary's desk, the locker room, the lunchroom, the Velasco building or the ROSSAC, when a person sees their job as maintaining "power and control" vs "professional administration", these stories will continue to be told.

No comments: