Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Equal Suffering For All That Are In The Same Boat

My research shows me that Sulphur Springs Elementary, Franklin Middle Magnet and Middleton High School are all in Area 4

I can't imagine what I would have done as a parent of a kid in school if I had lived in these areas. I can't help but think I would have heard something to the effect that the school personnel were professional and highly trained. The principal's probably would have told me that each of their staff members were personally picked based on their strenghts and that I needed to let them do their job. I would probably have been told how HCPS has all types of accolades.

Back in the day, I didn't have a blog to voice my concerns from 1990 to December 16th, 1996. My only recourse back then was to have countless meeting after meeting at Kingswood, Willis Peter's, Colson, Mann and various sites downtown including the very old building on Buffalo Ave just east of the interstate that was air-conditioned by God. I vividly remember that day in 1990 in the old building for two reasons. First, my convertible Camaro was side swiped by the lug nuts of a Coke truck with huge tires. They made an artful design as they cut down the side of the car. The other strong memory I have is that there were fourteen people in that meeting. I will never forget the feeling I had that finally I had the attention of "the professionals" to address my son's needs. I was wrong. For six more years I was wrong. After December 16th, 1996 at Mann Middle school, I became one of "those parents".

After Mann, there was Durant with stints at Brandon and Armwood. As I learned the rules of the game, I became a more effective pain in the ass.

All I can think is that if I had lived in the area of the above schools, it wouldn't have taken me six years. But I would have still been probably named "one of those parents".


State OKs Rescue Plans For 3 Local Schools

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever hear of FUSE Richard my friend?

PRO On HCPS said...

Yep, it's the thing that, when lit, sets off something that blows up.

What a metaphor.