Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Public Education In The Business of Renting Land To Cell Phone Towers

I may have to openly come out and say that my idea that public education is big business as been thoroughly trounced, first by Goader and now some person making a comment about how unfair it is that schools make money from selling cell phone tower space and the public will not get a tax refund on that money.

Cell tower debate on its way to Pasco?:


"We need to remember that schools are not businesses and are funded through tax dollars. Are you getting a tax refund due to the income they are going to earn? NO"


And then does anyone know if this is a true statement?
"..The company who is making a lot of money off of this deal is Collier Enterprises. It was started by one woman, Stacey Franks, who has the sole contract to put these towers up in EVERY HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY SCHOOL. She takes 50% of the revenue..."


For those of you who have an interest in the debate about cell phone towers, read the public comments on the above link. The comments seem to cover most of the issues from all sides.

While this cell phone tower debate goes on, I am still stuck with trying to decide if public education is a business or not. I know public education doesn't produce a product, but if you read the local "CEO's contract", it does seem she gets a bonus for every increase in 7th grade student participation in the Talent Identification program, and a bonus added to that if they are African-American students. In my Fort Lonesome farm boy kind-of-thinkin', they're raising "TIP" kids. The same would go for producing students participating in AP courses/exams,grades 9-12.

I've got a lot to learn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am torn as to cell phone towers on public school campuses. I am not convinced there is any danger from these towers and they can generate substantial funds. However, I find it obscene that schools are whoring themselves just to pay the bills.

PRO On HCPS said...

Goader, I am curious as to your take on my idea where I make the charge that the "CEO" is getting paid by the numbers of units that her "Company" "produces", as I outlined in the above post.

Anonymous said...

I also do not know for sure that cell towers present a danger. But I also believe that proving a link would be difficult in any case. Are we willing to take the risk with our children?

I think the whole setup stinks, especially the part where the principal makes the ultimate decision that will affect the community for far longer than that principal will be around.

Anonymous said...

Since we have no definitive proof either way, shouldn't we air on the side of caution for the children? Until we can say with 100% certainty that these things are safe, shouldn't we hold off on putting these things on school property?

On a side note, here is some film footage that I think came from Cimino.

http://www.keezmovies.com/422621