Monday, August 13, 2007

Get Your Fat Ass Off The Bus -But Buy a Pepsi When You Get To School

There have been comments made that walking to school would be a solution to the obesity condition of elementary children. Can we assume that is for their parent's benefit also?

The HCDS is attempting to cut costs. One method they have chosen to accomplish this is to change the current situation in Wimauma Elementary. If you have never been to Wimauma in the last few years, use your best stereotype image of an area that looks predominately like what a migrant worker community would look like. If one wants to do a comparison, drive to Immokalee or Belle Glade. I would be interested to see how many operative vehicles there are for the children and their caregivers. I assume we have heard the pathetic stereotypical stories about how many migrant workers live in a trailer. When I drive through there I see a lot of trucks and vans - but not many family sedans. If I made a prejudiced decision without fact finding, I would assume that the women and children have less access to vehicles, making the assumption again that it would be women walking the children to school.

In the 50's and 60's, the south side and the first two or three blocks to the north of CR 674 was inhabited by white people. Past the third block north was inhabited by black people. The present elementary school was then a 1-12th grade school. When East Bay (what is now Eisenhower)opened somewhere in 1956-57?, then Wimauma became a 1-8th grade school. Somewhere around 1966 or 1967, Wimamua was integrated. Just for history sakes, EBHS played their Varsity Basketball games at Wimauma until the current EB High School was built.
Over the years, the Hispanic population now is predominate where the whites were, including the main corridor. The significance of the corridor is that is where the businesses are located. In a migrant community, where the businesses are is where groups of people congregate. If one looks, these businesses are related to food or work opportunities - either with the on site business or to be picked up to "go to the field".

History lesson over. Back to today. What interests me is that HCDS recently hired a new person to oversee the "transportation problems" that apparently are undisputed. However, the new person, as far as I can tell, is not involved in this issue with Wimauma. So, we basically have the same decision makers that we have had all along. One must earn one's money, and to cut cost for the company is certainly one way to do that.

It has been stated (by the way, I will be glad to provide links for anyone who wants to verify or dispute my references, and please send me the info if I get it wrong) that the state's guidelines recommend no busing within a two mile radius. My understanding is that means the State will not pay the District for any busing the District provides within the two miles. Fair enough. If that is truly the issue, then why don't our school leaders lead with that premise, and stick with it? Sounds good to me - "I don't make the rules - I just enforce them.".

The problem is, as I see it, is that it is not a rule. The District has chosen in the past to provide what is now termed "courtesy busing". I assume this term is to let everyone know they have been getting a free ride out of the kindness of the now not so kind hearts. Once again fair enough. Business is business.

To the fat comments that are not related to the issue. First of all, how far does one look around at their colleagues when discussing how fat some one is? Secondly, how does one take the moral stand on health under one issue, but eschews it under another issue:("We have an obligation to provide healthy food and we have an obligation to teach about healthy diets, but I don't think the schools have the responsibility of being the food police." http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/31/Perspective/Pepsi_high.shtml

The answer has to be money. "...... And I don't think schools should be expected to turn up their noses at ($4 million a year)." http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/31/Perspective/Pepsi_high.shtml

I can not locate a number for how much the County would have saved in cutting the bus service in Wimauma. I wonder if anyone knows.

No comments: