Friday, October 24, 2008

Abuses Of Power - Let's connect Some Dots

My introduction to the abuse of power was in 1990 at Kingswood Elementary. When I was told by the Principal that my son would be spanked just like anyone else, depending on the behavior of my son, my first thought was there was something wrong. What I didn't realize was how wrong the system is. It took me six years until December 16th, 1996 at Mann Middle School before I realized that this was war. For those of you who want to think that you work for a professional organization, I apologize. It is what it is.

(For you who don't know, my son was completely deaf, visually impaired and was "behaviorally challenged". Say it to my face that he was spoiled or that we were "owed something". That happened once. It will never happen easily again.)

Some of you may think that my recent posts about Alafia Elementary and now the latest School Board fiasco is about the people that are identified. Frankly my dear, it is not. I don't know most of them. What I am about is exposing the system. Many, many good administrators, teachers, parents and students are done wrong by the system.

Despite the years of parsed language and deceit, I am not an isolated incident. The internet is defeating that defense. Where there is smoke there is fire. I was once told by a District employee that if there is horseshit everywhere, there must be a horse somewhere.

Read the Doug Erwin case which can be found in parts here: Lee Drury De Cesare's Casting-Room Couch: Erwin's Betrayal by Bricklemeyer and Gonzalez


Read the first Whitehead case where it was proved in Federal Court that the District RETALIATED against the parents for advocating for their son.
Wrightslaw - The Division of Administrative Hearings


If you are serious about the education of disabled kids, read the court's finding on "Low Expectations". This was not an isolated incident other than it went to Federal Court. Just ask around for the everyday truth.

I knew Doug Erwin. I know the Whiteheads. I know myself.

Until the culture of the system changes, "education for all" is just an empty slogan.

No comments: