Sunday, June 7, 2009

Loose Cannons And Friendly Fire

I am certainly not a scholar, nor do I play one on TV. In fact, I'm one of those guys that thinks it's braggin' when someone mentions a dangling modifier. Watching the acts play out on the local blogs reminds me of a character named Bildgewater, found in Twain's writings.


I think it was Shakespeare that tussled with the question about being and nobility. If I were to be a victim of a French loose cannon or usurpation by my own faction, which would be more noble?

There is an adage that all is fair in love and war. If a rotund fellow chooses a duel of pistols with a slim fellow, the fat guy cannot discount hits on his body that would have missed if he was as slim as his opponent.

We are left to wonder if Pat Tillman would have been more concerned about a loose cannon or friendly fire. From my perspective, either one is effective if it makes a direct hit. Noble or not.

No comments: