Sunday, July 13, 2008

Is There More Money in Test Scores Than The Kid?

Somewhere on my blogs I have written about the legal requirement under IDEA for school districts to address the behavioral, academics, social and emotional (BASE) aspects of a disabled child in all areas of their disability. A successful student must have supports in all areas.

I was perusing the Gradebook this morning, and I found this link to the Miami Herald titled FCAT third-grade reading law questioned .

At the very end of the article, the Broward County Board Chairperson is quoted as follows:

"''We always seem to focus on the academic side. It was really important for me to focus on the social and emotional side,'' said Bartleman, who worked at a Liberty City elementary school for four years. ``A kid isn't just a test score.'"

I think she gets it.

Since schools get money for having high test scores, it would seem logical to focus on academics, since that is where the money is.

But simply adding more flour and cutting out other ingredients does not a cake make.

Bakeries that attempt to get by with more flour and cut out the eggs, milk, vanilla, and other ingredients will fail.

No comments: