Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bedfellows, Birds, Boats and Chewing Gum

There is a hackneyed adage: Politics makes strange bedfellows. Shakespeare conceptulized this a while back.


The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

Politics makes strange bedfellows


Political interests can bring together people who otherwise have little in common. This saying is adapted from a line in the play The Tempest, by William Shakespeare: “Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.” It is spoken by a man who has been shipwrecked and finds himself seeking shelter beside a sleeping monster. "

*********************
Another adage is "Birds of a feather flock together". Or "show me your friends and I will show you what you are".

I purposefully have stayed away from being active in politics because I am never sure how many "beds" any particular politician may be in. So, metaphorically speaking, if I "flock together" with a politician who then "flocks together" with "birds of another feather", then I would be vicariously connected to a "friend" that I would not choose to be associated with.


****************************

One of the few political points that I have written about is "all politics is local".

*************************

Changing a bureacratic system is like turning a huge moving ship. It takes time and the turn starts long before the go-to point is near.

Here is some interesting commentary about some politicians that are supposed to be the Directors of the captain of a ship. But what if the captain cares less about the Directors, or the "real orders" come from some other source.

Read the public comments.



I am starting to wonder what would it matter if (My) Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bed Post Overnight?