Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Don't Know What "It" Is, But I Know "It" When I See It

As the parent who was processed through the world of special education within a public school system, I have had both benefit and misfortune in many, many experiences.

One of the benefits of the bad experiences I had was that it made me a better advocate for my son. I think all that know his life story would agree that he has far surpassed expectations. And there is still much to be desired before I die. I feel comforted that his siblings will not forsake him.

One of the misfortunes of the bad experiences I had was the toll it took on my overall disposition towards the education system of which I am a part of. For 33 years, kids who have gone at least two years through my business are known to be "advanced" both academically and socially. There are always those on the fringe of the bell curve, but our reputation speaks for itself.

Frequent readers of my blogs surely must see the acrimonious style in which I relay information and my opinions about "the system". I know from experience how some people at all levels within "the system" discount what I have to say. However, I also know from experience of countless IEP's of my own and with other parents along with the fact that many of these experiences were with the same District personnel in some counties (therefore patterns could be very well detected), I "know 'it' when I see 'it'", "it" being the "purposeful dysfunction" of the system.

Trying to convey the validity and the seriousness of what "it" is to others is an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task. Prior to the "age of communication", spreading the information was limited. Spreading information now is still controlled as much as possible by those who do not want the truth be known.

I cannot and will not own the problems that I know others face because to do so would consume me. Every once in a while over the years, I have had the experience of knowing someone who, having given little credence to my perceptions and opinions, finds themselves in a "bad spot" and comes back to me and said "wow - I see what you are talking about. It is unbelievable!"

I wish I could speed that process up for everyone.

No comments: