Thursday, February 21, 2008

Token Newspaper Coverage and "Is There Any Doubt" - Part III

Historically, the media has been a watchdog. We should all know that it can be biased.

We should all understand that the key to success is uniformity and promotion of the common goal. Note that I did not say "common good". Hitler had a following for the common goal, but it was not for the common good.

It is times like this that I wish I had labeled my postings so that one could follow my threads of thought. My belief is that historically, the Tampa Tribune has minimized the plight of the HCPS. My belief was so entrenched that I started the adjacent links to compare with the St. Pete Times. While I have not been 100% dedicated to all links, I was surprised to see that they were about equal.

This blip (thank you Eskay Espresso)may be indicative of a "token coverage of the school board meeting". Buried amongst camoflage, the Tribune can claim that they afforded coverage.

There are so many dynamics to this sequence of events that it is difficult to appreciate the significance of what is happening.

As an outspoken parent of a disabled student within the HCDS, I know what it is like to be discounted because of the manner I objected to what was wrong. “Broad brush attacks”, “Isolated Incidents”, “malcontent” and “personal problems” were a constant barrier to my advocacy.

I will admit that how one presents themselves should not override the substance of what one has to say. It is the reason for this title: "From Emotions To Advocacy". I will also admit that it is our human nature to judge the content of the substance by the manner in which it is presented. Poker players deal with this as a matter of the game.

Ms. Lee Drury de Cesare is one whose presentation may, by common protocol, get in the way of her message. However, if one overlooks the pomp and circumstance and maybe what could best be described as grandiloquence, she, by all accords, must speak the truth. Plus, she is out on the front line, time after time, fighting the fight that other's should but don't.

I have cringed at some of the statements she has made. I agree with a large majority of her perceptions, if not all.

I have written frequently about the arrogance and the abuse of power of the local public education system.

Those who are paying attention are watching how this abuse of power, through ignorance, is manifesting itself.

I implore those who care to realize that this is a deep seated mindset of a system. The fact that it is being exposed should not lead to one thinking that it will not be curtailed and strengthened when it becomes necessary.

As far as "Is there Any Doubt", check out my previous posts about retaliation.

No comments: