Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hey Mister Editor, May I Have A Job?

That's what I'm talking about.

Today in the Tampa Tribune, we have this: All Students, Athletes Included, Are Entitled To School Choice.

It restates what I said here: Footballs, Business Cards, Gavels and Scientific Method and bolsters the need for the District to pay attention to appropriate numbers that I mentioned here: Numbers and Coke Leave One Out of Touch with Reality.

This paragraph drew my attention: "It's interesting to note, however, that while Hillsborough coaches claim to know other coaches who have broken the transfer rules, none has the courage to report the details to the district for investigation. It's hard to have sympathy for coaches and schools unwilling to police themselves."

I was a founding member of the Superintendents ESE Advisory Council. While acting in the capacity as President of same, I was told straight forwardly by a District representative that the District did not need policing. I assume that those who are keenly aware of the difficulties facing all of those involved in ESE issues silently plead for some accountability.

It may be a complete surprise to some that I possess a degree in Sociology. The only time I used it for gainful employment was during my stint with the University of Miami. While I have retired a few times already, it would be fun to be an investigative reporter delving into the networking of the HCDS. Ferreting out how the District runs their business of education would be intriguing. Instead of me being a keyboard mocking critic, I could be a professional gumshoe.

So maybe I should put in a formal job application. I would of course have to become educated in writing. My participles not only dangle, most outright hang themselves. Commas and llamas all seem the same to me. The only ‘grammer’ I have ever known spent a lot of time in the kitchen baking pies.

And I could just imagine the look on the faces of all of those that I used to spend a lot of time with and know that I have seen the truth and don’t buy into their scripted rationalizations, such as “the District is too big for everyone to get the correct information.” I could provide the information for them, but no one is going to tell them what to do, much less how to do it.

No comments: