Friday, February 22, 2008

Thankfully the Aides finally got the courage

This is not a broad brush attack against teachers.

I will readily agree that this (teacher) is an isolated incident. Obviously, her patterns of behavior towards the kids were not isolated. There was enough of them that some how it overcame what ever barriers the aides had in reporting these events.

I know a lot of people don't believe parents. The principal makes a comment that she doesn't think the aides would make this up. But she likes the teacher and is surprised these events happened. Like being slammed on the head for not answering a question. It's in the reports.

It reminds be of a kid at Randall Middle school who was given 7 felony assualt charges against a school employee. Part of the reason his behavior escalated was he refused to obey an order to stand up. The fact that he had a disabilty to the extent he could not stand up without assistance of some type didn't seem to have much meaning to the authority figures. I never could understand the mindset of an adult who puts themselves in striking range of a kid who can not stand up, other than to prove the adult was the boss.

Sort of that arrogance with ignorance thing. The charges were later dropped, which probably really pissed the teacher off. Upsurped the teacher's authority over noncompliant kids. Tons of CYA paperwork were generated.

On page 16 of the attached link, it states that one parent said there were no other options for her child. I know what it is like to not be heard.

And it didn't happen in my county, so why should I even bring it up.

But I just couldn't help reading the probable cause affidavits

I wonder what the culture of defense is in that county.

I wonder what message the aides will get.

I wonder if they will get accolades for defending the disabled.

I wonder if they will be used as a example that the next time an employee sees something like this, whatever you do, you do not expose the school system.

My comments are not about teachers. My comments are about systems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randall Middle School has the lowest % of poor children (measured by free lunches) in Hillsborough County, yet it is run as if all the children are drug-dealing gangsters. It doesn't surprise me that they would do this.