Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's Not What You Say, It's The Fact That You Said It

Once again, time will tell.

A decade or so ago, I was called in to the big office down town a couple of times for things I was saying and doing. I was given some sage advice: It wasn't what I was saying, it was how I was saying it. We country boys know what that means. It took me a few years to realize that sometimes it didn't matter how I said it, it was the fact that I said it.

I know the District wants to be seen as professional. Imagine if you will where the District and a parent are at odds about an issue. The issue is outside of the classroom, in fact it has to do with transportation. So the parent and the District have a meeting. I learned a long time ago a good litmus test to determine the level of problem a parent is becoming is to see how many higher level people come to a meeting, even when the parent doesn't know they are going to be there. Having a union rep there means the parent must be stepping on some toes.

Suppose the District personnel say that what they are doing, or not doing, is based on "District Policy". Suppose the parent asks to see a written copy of the policy. Suppose the District's response is they don't have to provide anything in writing to the parent.

I wasn't there at the meeting today. This could all be another one of those made up dramatic, tearful stories. The fact that this same event happened to me a few times in the past does have some effect on how much credence I give to thinking it really did happen. Again.

Time will tell.

No comments: