Sunday, September 14, 2008

East Bay Is Getting Trounced

Hillsborough School Employees Strike Deal For 2% Raise

Read the public comments. East Bay gets alot of bad press. Plant gets the good.

Ouch. East Bay is my alma mater. I was the Indian back in 70-71. Somewhere on one of my posts I brag about all of the accomplishments I was lucky to get at East Bay. I had a very positive attitude towards HCPS until it treated me with years of disrespect.

I know that the defense of the following public comment is that it is an isolated incident.
I know that the defense of the following public comment is that the parent is a malcontent and uses a broad-brush attack.

I do wonder how this parent could write this account that sounds like others I have heard.

Earlier in the comments, this same parent did say there were two good teachers of their child. Could the parent have been wrong about their perception?

And the parent did use the word "retaliation".



Posted by ( Petey90 ) on September 13, 2008 at 2:06 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

gloria9231 and cshultz110..here is where you are WRONG. It wasn't just a few teachers. It was for the three years she attended there. And yes we went to the administration and even went to the school board. So thank you very much for assuming what kind of parent and complainer I am. YOU are just trying to cover for the lousy and lazy teachers out there.

We came from a private school where teachers and parents are VERY involved in the school. In public school, when a parent tries to be involved, the teacher wants NOTHING like that because then their laziness comes to the forefront. Teachers at East Bay curse the students (sure the students probably cursed them, but is that proper either?) some don't teach in class because they teach at HCC and they are too busy preparing their college lesson to worry about their high school students.

All of these things were addressed and you know what happened? Retaliation!! Soon, the "involved" parents learned to keep to themselves or their kids were retaliated against and suffered. Teachers made comments in front of the class like "oh, are your parents going to complain again?" or "don't tell your parents". And what kind of male teacher is supposed to ask female students what kind of panties they are wearing? Why was a teacher smoking pot at a graduation party with students? Hmmm...and I am the complainer? Yeah, right!

Don't tell ME what goes on there. I lived it. After 10 years of paying for private school, I know the difference of what you pay for and what you get in AWFUL public school when you transfer.

Raises shouldn't be handed out across the board. They should be performance based and certainly shouldn't be given to teachers who get the same constant complaints from parents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its curious to me that so many folks are for "performance based" pay. The fact is, performance based" pay is already in effect. Dont they read?

As for the extra planning days, I am going to use them to take some of the 50+ hours of "comp time" I have accrued from covering classes due to the shortage of subs.

There are only a few times cash year when we can actually cash in comp time.

As for the trashing of East Bay, I would love to see some of those people offer to sub there. We can offer them "comp time".

Anonymous said...

Richard--the only difference between ESE and "regular" parents is that the "contract is in writing with ESE and implied with "regular". This district treats both with equal disdain.


Parent of "regular" student and teacher of ESE students.