Friday, September 26, 2008

Could It Be That Parents Make Public Education A Success?

Are Florida's school districts too big to succeed?

Thanks to the Gradebook, the above is a link to a "discussion" about breaking up the size of the school districts as another means to create "success". This apparent assumption that the public school system isn't doing well goes against what I was told as a parent for many years. I was led to believe that the local education education knew what they were doing and how to do it.

I am keenly aware that many of those who work in the public education system blame the "raw material" of students for the lack of success of the public education system along with poor parenting. If one follows the discussions of merit pay and school grades, these two variables are singled out as the culprit for lack of "success".

The below comment once again refers to "success" being based on parents. If this is so true, why is there so much money spent on "merit pay" and "school grades"?

"I agree that making smaller districts will create more inequality of funding. Think of Pinellas- we'll have the great white north district and then the diverse south district. It will lead to more problems, not a solution for the problems. The solution lies in parenting. Large or small, the best students have the best parents.

Posted by: Jack | September 25, 2008 at 11:20 PM"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, I can answer that. That is an easy question.


The legislators who are beholding to voters (parents) certainly don't want to hold their constituents responsible. Instead they cook up these insulting schemes MAP ans school grades) to "reward" teachers. With the merit pay and school grades is the degrading assumption that we teachers will work harder for the crumbs thrown to us.

MERIT PAY FOR PARENTS

I say give the merit pay where it will do sOme good. Give parents merit pay for sending us responsible children, well fed, well rested, with the supplies they need and the social skills required to be successful.

We can set up a rating scale and assign points to each of the criteria mentioned above. Send social workers to the home to objectively evaluate the parents. A checklist to go over the home with a fine tooth comb and a social skills pre-test.

Then we can make a big deal about rewarding the winning parents, invite the media and have the newspaper write up little human interest stories about the successful parents.

Good God....,imaging the howling if parents were treated this way. Teachers get this treatment yet they timidly stand for it, complaining only among themselves.

What do you think Richard? I will nominate you for a retroactive reward for the fine job you did with your own kids.

In fact, you are living proof of the merit of my proposal. You often speak of a broken system, sub-par teachers and yet, I am willing to bet you a dinner at the restaurant of your choice, your kids are doing just fine. They are doing fine despite the instances of mis-education you rightfully bemoan. They are doing fine because of you.

You deserve a bonus my friend!! How does 2300 bucks sound?

TRhomas Vaughan

Anonymous said...

Richard and Thomas--
I can think of one benefit to smaller school districts-- a superintendent could not hide behind layers and layers and layers of cronies. Said superintendent would have to be accountable and reachable by constutuents. Yes-- separation would have to be done carefully--- I want to be in the district with Plant----or inequities would occur. Does anyone know the relative size of a ROSSAC-type unit and operating budget in any of the surrounding counties? DO smaller districts perform better?

pollyanna

PRO On HCPS said...

Thank you Thomas for your support. My oldest is a member of the Gator alumni, my middle is a "graduate" of the Helen Keller National Center for the deaf/blind and my youngest is a sophomore at Hofstra.

I will say, from my experience, that some (most) politicians bastardize the issues that parents bring to them (politicians) and they (politicians) miss the integral parts of what is most important to obtaining a functional education for our kids.

I have been there, done that. It is like talking to a reporter and then being pissed as hell because what is reported does not reflect what you said or meant.

It happens all the time.

I have been on the stump for years in the small forest around me saying that the day that teachers and parents unite will be the day that positive change begins.

I think you know I know the game. I am always ready to give the system another chance at proving themselves. However, I deal with the system like I deal with a kid with challenging behaviors: “Show me”.

Words are cheap. Actions are the truth.