Saturday, June 14, 2008

Trust - How Else Can I Say It

I would assume that those reading this have heard the story.

A school system wanted to educate their students.

"They" wanted to educate their students to not drink and drive. (addressing a negative)

Perhaps they wanted to educate their students to drive without drinking. (addressing a positive)

"They" chose to address the negative. "They", along with the assistance of the Highway Patrol, told 20 classrooms that several of their classmates had been killed in car wrecks over the weekend.

Why didn't "they" just enlist some parents that had more than one kid and have the parent call the school and tell one kid that their sibling died in a car wreck?

"They" probably wouldn't enlist parents in that exercise because parents are not professional educators.

I can rest assured that those students will trust everything those adults tell them from now on.

Always looking for the silver lining, I guess those students who do drink and drive got what they deserved. At the expense of those who don't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH--someone higher up than a teacher thought up that one, huh? Don't they realize the trust situation governs the extent to which students will learn
( accept/believe) information from a teacher--and/or come to a teachers with information or personal issues????

Anonymous said...

Has the rate of accidents caused by alcohol dropped? By how much? How much money has been spent addressing this? Is it worth the money spent?

OR

Can we address a "positive"? We know you are going to drink and drive so let's give you some lessons on HOW to drive when you've been drinking.

If you are unable to perform these tasks effectively THEN DON"T DRIVE!

1. Maintain a safe distance from those on the road in front of you.
2. Stay 3 mph BELOW the speed limit at all times. Use cruise control when on the expressway.
3. Don't weave between the lines.
4. Keep your driving smooth.
5. Don't attract attention.
6. Listen to those who tell you not to drive.
7. Obey ALL traffic laws.

Anonymous said...

When I was in school I had to watch gruesome post accident photos of dead mangled bodies. It scared me. It didn't scare me enough not to have ever driven when I drank too much. When you are young, you don't think anything can hurt you.

You know what? Back in the 70's I was a police officer and I will NEVER forget the sight of a young girl of about 18 bleeding to death before my eyes. It all happened so fast. She was wedged in the overturned car. I just got there less than a minute after the accident and before i could get to her, she was dead.

So what if the little darlings were upset? I agree it was not a good idea but if it saves one life, would it be worth it?

Personally I think schools should stay out of this and all other forms of "character education". What kind of message does it send kids if we tell them not to drink and drive and daddy gets sh*tfaced at a company party and drives home, or worse yet, a teacher gets arrested for the 4th time for DUI.

Parents should teach character. That is not my job and i don't want it. I especially don't want some idiotic county designed curriculum. I can teach it by conducting myself with respect and tell kids the truth.