Monday, October 19, 2009

The Point Is About ESE and the 6/7 Plan

Someone made a post that supports the point that ESE teachers need a lot of time. If you follow Goader's link: Repeal 6 Of 7 Instructional Schedule : Goader, it appears we are all on the same page.

Can we at least agree on the point that in order to carry out the needed duties within an ESE classroom, the teachers need a 5/7 day?


Pro--
As an ESE escapee--there are many of us who left GE to enter ESE because the idea held so much potential, then returned to GE disillusioned because everyone EXCEPT teachers in the classes working every day with every student made it impossible to achieve that potential for most of the students, I MUST disagree with your position due to the above. There are many teachers that stay who somehow find enough reward in the unbelievably difficult situation they find themselves to do so. Those teachers have seen caseloads rise, have lost an extra planning period to enable them to conference with other teachers--ESE and GE, parents and students in their classes and caseloads, plan and collect data and then write those INDIVIDUAL Education Plans, update records, plan with co teachers,observe and test ESE and potentialstudents, attend meetings to refresh them on the "new" standards/practices and whatever changes are occurring that year--and there are more every year--AND--they still teach the same number of periods GE teachers teach and have the same other "teacher" responsibilities. Pro-- you have ONE child--they have many children/students. You have the time for that ONE child--they have children of their own, yet take untold hours away from them trying to keep up with all the extras for those many. No matter if your child is out of the system--support those teachers--work on changing the system that failed your child and continues to fail those teachers and other parents' children.



Now for my response to the post.

First of all, I will repeat what I have said before about the need to pay attention to the detail of words, especially when it comes to law. Law makers spend hours debating one word. If you ever go to court, you will understand the parsing of one word. I urge anyone who deals with ESE in any area to become as familiar as they can with the true wording of the law. Use an on-line source of the federal laws. Do not rely on your local education agency to explain the meaning and context of IDEA.

They are not INDIVIDUAL education plans. They are INDIVIDUALIZED education plans.

The commenter states they disagree with me. I ask, "about what?"

Don't I get points for what I said here:

PRO on HCPS: 25 Or 6 to 7 - Or is it a life time? - TIME takes Time: "I, as a parent of a kid with a disability, can empathize with the number of hours that a teacher needs to meet the individual needs of the disabled kids. I, as a parent of a deaf/blind kid, only have to deal with one. And furthermore, I don't have a 1' thick federal publication that outlines all of the federal requirements that school systems are supposed to meet. Not that they do, mainly because in order to meet the law, it would cost too much time."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Pro--
Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part --"they" who "get what they deserve" doesn't necessarily mean ESE teachers.
You certainly get lots of points--6/7 is a lousy deal --and ludicrous considering how much Hillsborough County Schools claims to desire improvement in the educational process. Great that we got the grant-- maybe that money will reveal what we all know teachers need--that planning time back. ESE teachers need more. You're absolutely right--it sure does have a lot to do with time. A lttle time spent observing classroom behavior, researching all the factors that enable a student to be prepared and motivated to learn just also might be revealed in time...with a little money.

PRO On HCPS said...

Alrighty then.

If you, and others, pay close attention to detail, I usually bash "the system", not teachers.

While I could easily bash some individuals based on my years of personal experience with many people within the system, I use broad brush attacks, which I was publicly accused of when I spoke to the Board many years ago.

There is no doubt that, through my own personal experience, I have seen the seedy side of the ESE world. Unfortunately, many people within the system, back in the day, did everything they could to discount my message to protect the system.

I can tell you numbers of stories of when I knew the people in the room knew the truth, but they just had to try to shut me up by whatever means they could.

Do you have any guess how many schools I have attended an IEP meeting at?