Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Piece of the Dysfunctional Puzzle

It is very difficult to succinctly explain 15 years in a few sentences. But I can use the contents of a document I have to illustrate one of the many issues I faced.

At one point in time, an issue concerning my son's report card occurred. My issue was not about the grades. I could have cared less. How does one objectively grade a kid who is deaf, visually impaired and had other challenges that needed to be met. Grades were insignificant compared with needing to be taught adequate behaviors and how to function in his world. My issue was about what was not being done for my son that the IEP called for. I can only assume that the below interaction was just one more indicator of someone who should have known, did not understand my issues, and unfortunately passed it off as a shallow request from "a parent who wants his kid to get a better grade".

Preceding this action below, I had written a letter to the Area Director outlining my concerns. I received a response with a copy of my son's report card with red marker drawn through a couple of the grades and a higher grade written with same marker.

This did not address the issues, it simply added another dynamic. I subsequently found out that the grades had not been changed at the school. Again, the issue was not about the grades, but now, not only was I once again brushed off, I had just one more concern about getting false information, which I was accustom to. A short while later, I came upon another document.


I have in my possession a copy of a Student Withdrawal Form. I will withhold the date and the names used because I do not need the hassle of any type of litigation. I am writing about it now in hopes more people will understand how I got to where I am with this blog, and my adjacent blog.

I have always assumed that this document was to have never been seen by me, but I have it.

Along with the identifying data, it contains the Subjects and the original grades. Two of the original grades were "D"s. They have been slashed through and have "C" written next to them.

At the very bottom of the form is the following written by a teacher about an Area Director. It states:

" * These grades have been changed as per (name withheld)'s request although I feel it is unethical to do so. I have changed them solely to avoid any charges of insubordination".
Once again, this is one "small piece" of the dynamics I faced for many years.

This has been years ago, but another interesting find was the last time I checked the "J" screen, according to the "J" screen he wasn't even enrolled in HCDS during the time these events occurred, which was a little over three months. Must have just been an entry mistake. Or, maybe it was to lessen the chance his records would be found by an outside auditor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most powerful piece it is!

PRO On HCPS said...

It is connected to the story I wrote about the teacher who changed the communication book to try to protect herself. Since this had happened to me before in other settings, I learned to copy the book.