Sunday, February 14, 2010

Computing The Obvious

My uncle was a sage. He had wisdom nurtured by attention and respect for reality of what he experienced.

Over thirty years ago, one of the many insightful concepts he told me was to do something that I enjoyed if I wanted to be successful.

I have heard that many times from successful people. My wife doesn't go to work. She goes to do what she loves to do. For those who are interested, ask around about what child care center in Hillsborough county is known for inclusion. With a track record of success.

Which brings me to a question du jour. What do kids enjoy today? Computers. Everyday.

What? Some kids don't have computers at home? You mean the same kids that don't have football uniforms at home? You mean the same kids that don't have text books at home? You mean the same kids that don't have hall passes at home? You mean the same kids that don't have cars at home? The same kids that don't have culinary tools at home? The same kids that don't have condoms at home?

Educational institutions bitch and complain about the competition they have to engage students. Educational institutions bitch and complain about the lack of buy-in that students, and parents, have with what the educational system offers. Educational institutions bitch and complain that kids spend too much time on computers. ???!!!!!!

Facebook. Computer. Twitter. Computer. You Tube. Computer. Direct link to kids. Computer.

Yet, the United States educational system continues to tell the public what is best for the public. The US educational system is as arrogant as the the US government. The arrogance has even made it to the point that the educational system and the government controls the climate. Or weather. WTF.

What do think would be the outcome if educational systems hooked up with what computers hook up with students with.

Nike supports quadratic formulas. Abercrombie supports sentence structure. Hollister supports geometry.

What did you say? Students have to learn the way we did to maintain the integrity of the education institution?

Here I am, an old man close to 60 years old who learned computer programming using punch cards. I learned BASIC and wrote a payroll program for my company back when I had a Radio Shack computer with a cassette tape storage system. And yet today, I operate a blog and have no clue how it is done. I don't have to prime the pump to get water. I don't have to walk up hill both ways to school, carry a hot potato to school and eat it cold for lunch. But I am engaged with a computer.

Education systems have plenty of money to engage students. Do they spend the money wisely? Compute that.

2 comments:

Goader said...

Wow, you really delivered a brilliant piece of writing, Richard; you produced a work of art with this post! Your creative expression shows a passion for this idea. I won't reveal it per se here; rather, I will wait for your next installment(s) and let you work your magic.

In the meantime, I researching some of the literature on the subject and hoping some readers will comment. I am curious how others react to the idea. There is a mountain of work ahead.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK!! YOUR INSIGHT< OBSERVATIONS AND COMMENTS WERE MISSED!! CAN'T WAIT FOR PART 2 !!!