Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bus Drivers Can Compute The Stress Level Going Down

Wi-Fi Turns Arizona Bus Ride Into a Rolling Study Hall - NYTimes.com: "Wi-Fi Turns Rowdy Bus Into Rolling Study Hall By SAM DILLON Published: February 11, 2010"

This school system seems to be matching their money with conventional wisdom as opposed to "we still do it the way we always did it" way. This school system appears to be willing to teach students vicariously by smartly manipulating the environment. This school system seems not to employ the "shut up and sit down" approach to dealing with student behavior problems.

School systems bitch and complain about student behavior problems. "Good Teachers" get accolades for "good classroom management", but when the classroom is at a loss for behavior that is conducive to learning, suddenly "behavior" is the sole responsibility of the student and their parent.

How many times have we heard that teachers/bus drivers are not "baby sitters?"

There is an interesting concept. Calling a adolescent or a teenager a "baby" tells a lot about the person doing the calling. And maybe there lies the problem. My experience tells me that calling a child a baby seldom advances the child. It may be a cathartic expression of my frustration of not knowing what else to do, but it doesn't help the child learn for tomorrow how not to repeat what went wrong today.

Hey, there is another interesting concept: "a cathartic expression of my frustration of not knowing what else to do."

I bet the bus drivers in the above school system, the one where they placed the Wi-Fi system, had said "I don't know what else to do", regarding the student behaviors.

"I don't know what else to do" is a red flare signal complete with an auditory alarm that tells me I had better bring in resources to figure out "what to do" or else I am failing my job.

Computers are where kids are at today.

Meeting the students where they are at is a hell of lot cheaper on the system than calling them babies, no matter how much authority and power you think you have.

No comments: