Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Correlations Are Serendipitous - I hope

Bare with me while I set this up.

In Hillsborough County, there has been a long standing rumor that the local Tampa Tribune does not write articles that are negative towards the HCDS. There has been rumors of some type of relationship between school officials and Tribune decision makers. Over the last 15 years, I have read several articles regarding the school system that seemed to paint the school system as a victim of circumstances in controversial events. A couple of these articles I was personally involved in, and I knew a lot more information than what was reported.


Part two of this set up is that I have a tendency to promote my philosophy that "one gets more of what they pay attention to" when it comes to people's behavior. I use this in teaching class room management and dealing with employee issues. That is not to say that I am blinded to what I don't want. I deal with what I want to see more of and what I want to see less of in two completely different approaches.

Now to put these two together. Prior to my blogging, I thought the Tribune seldom, if ever, printed critiques about the HCDS. It seemed, over the years, that if I read the St. Pete Times, I saw more critical information. This was especially true the day after a Board meeting. Having watched the meeting myself and then reading the two different print medias, I felt my perceptions were validated.

On my side bar, I started tracking the reports from both sides. What has completely surprised me is that since I have started keeping track, there have been a lot of reports generated. Interesting correlation.

No comments: