Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Learn This: "Does It Matter?"

I don't know Joel Chandler, but I have written about him before. I haven't checked his website for a while, but for some reason I decided to check it yesterday. He hasn't posted anything for months, but he is back at it again.

One aspect of what Joel writes about resonates with me because of how some people within the Hillsborough County District Schools treated me over the years. If you read the recent set of Joel's blog entries, you will note that he tries to bring to light the issue of how at a least a few of those in power positions such as those who work in law enforcement and school systems seem to disrepect the laws and the citizens that they are supposed to be serving.

My understanding of what he writes is that he does not make a blanket condemnation of all of those who work within the system. However, the fact that the system seems to tolerate by rationalized reasons and lack of action those within the system that appear to be repeat offenders should give us cause to think that it matters.


What brought me to spend thousands of dollars and hours over a span of fifteen or more years of my life trying to advocate for my disabled child was being lied to and intimidated by those within the school system that had a cavalier attitude about the special education laws that they were supposed to be in compliance with.

I like the phrase that Joel uses when someone uses their position of assumed authority to ask questions that are aimed at intimidation more than fact finding. The question is, "Does it matter?".


Polk County Sheriff's Office Asks Odd Questions....:

"Within a couple of hours Public Information Officer Wood called to ask if I was a member of the media. I asked “Does it matter?” She replied “Yes, it does.” She went on to explain that many law enforcement records are exempt and that she needed to know if I was member of the press.

It is true that some LE records are exempt. The list is not as all encompassing as Ms. Wood was trying to make it sound.

I told her that I was making the request as a private citizen as provided by the Florida Constitution and FS 119. She again asked “Are you a member of the press? Are you a member of the print media or a news station in Tampa Bay?”

What possible difference would any of that make? The “Press” is not afforded some special set of public records privileges that the rest of us are not. To even ask seems inappropriate. I’m making a PRR because I can. That’s it. I’m not asking because I’m part of a group or because I make living in a certain way.


Public officials should not ask questions about the requester of a public record. They should do their job and produce the records. If that is too demanding then they should seek to change the law or find another line of work."


To see first hand how Joel asks this question, watch the video found here:"...free enough....": "'...free enough....'"


After reading the other recent blog post's by Joel, it does give one reason to question the very ones that are sworn to uphold the law, and their own policies.

We should all be asking "Does It Matter?"!!!